Saturday 7 May 2011

Present Habitual: Negative

Kaluun ma cuno - I don't eat fish
Bariis ma kariso - I don't cook rice
Af Soomaali kuma hadlo - I don't speak Somali
Dugsi ma tago - I don't go to school
Khamri ma cabbo - I don't drink alcohol
Dadka Soomaaliyeed fardaha ma cunaan - Somali people don't eat horses
Reerkaas masaajidka ma tagaan - Those people don't go to the mosque

This is how you use the negative form of the present habitual.
Generally, if you want to say 'I don't ...' you take the imperative form of the verb (cun, cab, tag,etc) and add 'o' to it. Use this with 'Ma' which means 'I/He/She/We/You/They don't' .Therefore

Ma + cun(o) - I don't eat
Ma + cabb(o) - I don't drink
Ma + tag(o) - I don't go

For Conj.2 verbs, add 'yo' instead

Ma + kari(yo) - I don't cook
Ma + sameeyo - I don't do/make  

Conj.3 verbs are a bit trickier. For 3a verbs, remove 'o' and add 'ado' instead

Ma + joogs(ado) - I don't stop

For 3b verbs, remove 'o' and add 'to'

Ma + dhegeys(to) - I don't listen
Ma + seex(do) - I don't sleep

This is a bit tricky, write a comment if you have any questions.



 conj.1conj.2conj.3
  2a2b3a3b
Macunokariyosameeyojoogsadodhegeysto
Macuntidkarisidsameesidjoogsatiddhegeysatid
Macunokariyosameeyojoogsadodhegeysto
Macuntidkarisosameesojoogsatodhegeysato
Macunnokarinnosameenojoogsannodhegeysanno
Macunnokarinnosameenojoogsannodhegeysanno
Macuntaankarisaansameesaanjoogsataandhegeysataan
Macunaankariyaansameeyaanjoogsadaandhegeystaan

No comments:

Post a Comment