Friday 19 August 2011

More about 'Si...u...'

Sidee baad u seexataa? - How do you sleep?
Dhinaca baan u seexdaa - I sleep on my side
Dabarka baan u seexdaa - I sleep on my back

Sidee baad u lugeeysaa? - How do you walk?
Si aayar baan u lugeeyaa - I walk slowly


Shaah xawaash leh sidee baa loo sameeya? - How is spicy tea made?


IMPORTANT POINT:
The 'u' part of 'Si...u...' is a preposition. It roughly corresponds to the English preposition 'for' or 'to'. Do you remember 'la'? It is another preposition that we use to make a passive sentence.


Waa la cunaa - It is eaten


When 'la' and 'u' come next to each other in a sentence, it becomes 'loo'. 


Sidee baa loo sameeyaa? - How is it made?
Sidee baa loo cabbaa? - How is it drunk?
Sidee baa loo kariyaa? - How is it cooked?
Sidee baa loo dhisaa? - How is it built?
Sidee baa loo shaqeeyaa? - How does it work?


For the verb, as in English we use the present habitual form of the verb. I will go into detail about prepositions at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment