Thursday 17 November 2011

nabad iyo caano's 1st birthday

It just occured to me that this blog is 1 year old already. Hambalyo!('Congratulations'- although it's a bit weird congratulating myself).


Why blog about Somali?


The best way to learn is to teach. I'm not a native speaker;  I only started learning properly a few years ago.  I don't keep any notebooks or anything, so I thought a blog would be a good place to keep my notes. 

Also, I wanted to help people who were learning Somali. There aren't many places on the net where you can find some tips or phrases in Somali. It would make me sincerely happy if this site has helped you in any way to pick up some of the language, or figure out how it works.

Somali is a rich language. Every time I learn a new word or phrase, I get a new perspective, and I feel I understand the Somalis a little better. 

For example, the title of my blog means 'peace and milk'. It is a well-known proverb. It means as long as you have peace and milk, you will be happy. Milk, especially camel milk, is cherished by the Somalis.

Of course, there are many things about the blog that could be improved.  More than anything,  I want to add some audio files so that you can hear how the words are pronounced. I also wanted to include some videos as well. Hopefully, I will get my act together and make time to do that in the future. Thanks for your support!


2 comments:

  1. Jenny from Sweden20 November 2011 at 03:49

    Waad mahadsantahay! This blog is my number one source of knowledge and inspiration regarding how to learn Af Soomali.

    Aqoon la'aani waa iftiin la'aan!

    (Small request: I know what it means, but I need the grammatical explanation. Waad tahay macallin ficaan! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mahadsanid, Jenny. I have put the grammatical explanation in the latest post. Garabkaaga!(good luck!).

    ReplyDelete