Saturday 31 December 2011

Preposition practise

qaad - take it
ka qaad - take it away
iga qaad - take it away from me (literally 'me from take it')
 i + ka = iga
ME     FROM   FROM ME

In English the order is 'from me', but in Somali, the order is 'me from'.

Ingriiska waan tegay - I went to Britain
Ingriiska waan ka tegay - I left Britain (literally 'I went away from Britain')
Ingriiska waan ka tegay oo dalkayga soo noqday - I left Britain and returned to my country

sheeg - state (as in speak)
u sheeg - tell to (him/her/them)
ii sheeg - tell me (literally ' me to tell it')
 i + u = ii
ME    TO     TO ME

noo sheeg - tell us 
na + u = noo
US        TO        TO US

In English, we say 'tell me', but in Somali we say 'to me tell'. In Somali, usually the verb comes at the end.

Waan sugayey - I was waiting
Dukaankii hortiisa baan ku sugayey - I was waiting at the front of the shop
Dukaankii hortiisa baan kugu sugayey - I was waiting for you at the front of the shop



No comments:

Post a Comment