Sunday 6 May 2012

Adjectives - past tense

How do you say ' I am fine/Ok' in Somali? 


Waan ladnahay/fiicanahay/wanaagsanahay


How do you say 'I was fine'?


...
You chop off the 'ahay' at the end of the word and add 'aa'


Waan ladnaa/ Waan fiicnaa*/Waan wanaagsanaa - I was fine


*I think 'fiican' could be a special case. You have to remove the 'a' before the 'n' as well.


You use this for sentences like 'I am/was beautiful', 'I am/was tall', 'I am/was rich'


Waan     + adjective + ahay  >      Waan  + adjective + aa
Waad     + adjective + tahay >      Waad  + adjective + ayd
Wuu       + adjective + yahay >    Wuu    + adjective + aa
Wey       + adjective  + tahay >    Wey    + adjective + ayd
Waannu + adjective  + nahay > Waannu + adjective + ayn
Weynu   + adjective  + nahay > Weynu  + adjective  + ayn
Waad     + adjective   + tihiin >  Waad    + adjective  + aydeen
Wey       + adjective   + yihiin>  Wey      + adjective  + aayeen


Waan dhuubanahay - I am slim  >   Waan dhuubanaa - I was slim
Waan guruxsanahay - I am beautiful > Waan guruxsanaa - I was beautiful
Waan buuranahay >  Waan buuranaa - I was fat
Waan dheerahay - I am tall > Waan dheeraa - I was tall



No comments:

Post a Comment